Sound Recording and Radio
- What's the last album or song you purchased? How did you acquire it?
- What genres of music do you typically listen to? Which artists? Why?
- How did people listen to music before the advent of sound recording?
- What is Napster? Why is it no longer with us? And has anything taken its place?
- Why is Tin Pan Alley such a significant part of pop music's rise?
- From whose (and what kinds of) music does rock and roll derive? Who often gets the credit for the advent of rock and roll?
- At the beginning, why was rock and roll so controversial? Is it still controversial?
- When was radio invented? And when did it become a mass medium?
- What's the difference between broadcasting and narrowcasting?
- How did broadcasting, unlike print media, come to be federally regulated?
- What did listeners hear during the early days of radio, and how did the programs reflect American culture of the time(s)?
- How did radio adapt to TV's arrival?
- How does contemporary radio differ from its predecessor?
- What radio stations do you listen to? Are they local? How are they broadcast to you?
- Do you subscribe to satellite radio? Why or why not?
- From where does the term podcasting originate?
- What podcasts, if any, do you listen to? Has your comedian make an appearance on the radio or a podcast?
WTF with Marc Maron: Required Listening
Listen to Dane Cook's appearance on the podcast WTF with Marc Maron (70 min).
- What do you learn about Maron here?
- What do you learn about Dane Cook?
- How does Maron structure his podcast? Are there segments? Commercials? Music?
- What kinds of questions does he ask Cook?
- How do you feel as you're listening to the conversation?