5Q7—THE FUNCTION OF HUMOR
- What does Norma Miriam Schulman mean by the phrase "crossing the color barrier" or "the color line"?
- According to Schulman, what's valuable about In Living Color's "double-edgedness" or "ambiguity"? And its problem with the same?
- Despite the jokes within, your class did not laugh very much at In Living Color's "Men on Film" sketch. Why do you think that is? What was your reaction? Finally, how does E. Patrick Johnson interpret this recurring sketch (alongside Eddie Murphy)?
- On what channel does Inside Amy Schumer air? What is that channel's target demographic, according to Nick Marx? And how has that channel, in ways, modeled itself after FOX in the 1990s (when In Living Color was on)?
- How does Inside Amy Schumer serve its network's primary demographic? Do you agree with Nick Marx here? Explain your response via 2-3 sketches we screened in class.