SATIRE: A HISTORY
- What is satire and the purpose of satire, according to Gray, Jones, and Thompson?
- How long has satire been on television? And the series that began the satire TV boom?
- Geoffrey Baym offers four reasons (and lots of examples!) that Fox's The 1/2 News Hour failed so miserably. What are these? Which reason do you think is his strongest, and why?
- What is the carnivalesque (i.e., definition, purpose, key characteristics), and why is it useful to both conservative- and liberal-minded people?
- Does Ethan Thompson's argument about the carnivalesque hold true for South Park's "Over Logging"? Explain via instances from the episode.