Digital Project 1: Getting Started
In lieu of class on Wednesday, March 30, complete the following by our next meeting (most of this we would have done in class):
- Create a one-page autobiography using About.me, a personal identity service featuring profiles that drive visitors elsewhere. Please fill out all categories. If you don't have a substantial web presence, About.me is a good place to begin.
- Create a digital avatar to represent yourself across the Internet. As we'll learn, experts suggest this should be a picture of your face. After deciding on your digital avatar, go to Gravatar.com (aka. Globally Recognized Avatar) and create a profile.
- Select the platform on which you will create your website, but you DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR A PLAN YET. Suggestions, in order from most to least intuitive: Weebly, Wix, Wordpress, and Squarespace. A newer website builder is Virb, about which I know little. Research and play around with these since you'll regularly be using the platform. Pricing is in the gallery below, and plenty of comparison charts like this one exist online. If you have questions about any of these services, please email Dr. Marshall.
- Using Name.com, see if a domain name is available for your website. Ideally, this should be your name with .com or .net after it.
- Finally, read "Emailing: Good Form." Then, email Dr. Marshall a) the link to your About.me profile, b) the link to your Gravatar, c) the platform you've chosen along with a brief explanation of why, and d) the domain name you intend to use/purchase.