APP 1: Getting Started
Decide on which platform you'd like to trace your family tree:
- FamilySearch.org (free) or
- Ancestry.com (free 2-week trial, then monthly fees for certain parts of the site).
- Print the blank Five-Generation Ancestor Chart discussed under "Genealogy Basics," and complete it as best you can. (You may need to contact relatives for some of this. You might also ask them, as suggested on pages 11 and 12, if they've researched any family lines already.)
- As suggested under "Create a Research Plan" (from the FamilySearch.org chapter), choose one family line to research. Begin an email to Dr. Marshall, and write a short paragraph explaining why you selected that line. (Don't send the email yet, as #4 requires a response too!)
- Set up your account on FamilySearch.org or Ancestry.com.
- Play around a bit with the platform you've chosen. You might first see if someone else has begun your family tree. If you're using FamilySearch.org, go to Family Tree > Find > First/Last name (and any other info you have). If you're using Ancestry.com, go to Search > Public (or Private) Family Trees. In your email to Dr. Marshall, describe what you've found.
- Email Dr. Marshall your answers to #2 and #4 before the beginning of our next class. Please read about email etiquette if you haven't already.