8 – The Finale
Please respond to the following in a Google Doc (directions), and share it with Dr. Marshall. Also, before you begin, read the guide Writing about Film and TV.
- In your own words, what does plugola mean, and where is it still used on television today? Offer at least one example (as McAllister has done with Seinfeld), being sure to include ample images, quotes, appearances, ads, etc. to support your response.
- What surprises you most about how the Seinfeld series finale was "plugged" (McAllister 388-98)?
- Which current broadcast/network (NOT cable) sitcoms draw the most audiences per week? And how do those numbers stack up to Seinfeld's viewers per week?
- How self-reflexive is the Seinfeld series finale, according to Joanne Morrale? Offer at least three examples. Anything else you can add from the script that Morrale didn't include here?
- In your own words, explain a) Raymond Williams's concept of "flow," and b) why Corrigan and Corrigan think Seinfeld's series finale problematizes it.