5Q5—Ferris Bueller and Fissures in Reagan's America
- What was happening culturally and politically in 1986? List ten events.
- How do Platoon and Top Gun represent the fissuring of Reagan's America? Please cite evidence from the clips embedded below in your response.
- Do you read Ferris Bueller's Day Off as a film about anxiety and "the angst of affluence" as our book's author suggests? How else can we read this narrative? How do you see it?
- According to Timothy Shary, why did the 1980s embrace the teen/youth picture with such gusto? And what about the decades before?
- Into which of "the six major approaches to youth cinema offered by Hollywood" does Ferris Bueller fall? Only one? More than one? Explain.